July 2018  
SMTWTFS
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    
     
Bible Search
Our History

Remembering Our Heritiage

 

The first record of the Sayre United Methodist Church dates back to 1901 when the town of Sayre came into existance. The pioneer histories of the churches in Sayre are similar to all towns in America. Denominational lines were forgotten and the first services were held in unison  in the O.H. Benton building on Main Street. Later, they moved to the frame school house where the Whitehurst building used to stand. Mr. Benton also organized the first Sunday School class in a freight car. Sometime in November, 1901 Reverend J.A. Fulton organized the Methodist Church South with six members, Miss Molly Martin, J.W. Danner, Mrs. Henry Reed, Mr. and Mrs. O.O. Coffin, and a sith member who is unknown.

In 1902 a one room church was built on Fourth Street (where Southwestern Bell Telephone later stood). A two room parsonage was built north of the church. Revernd J. L. Hanson was the pastor. Other denominations donated to the building fund and used the church, as this was the first church building in Sayre.

In 1907 the congregation outgrew the one room church under the leadership of the pastor Reverend Duncan, and a new church was built on the site of the present church. The building was valued at $6,500 and the building commitee consisted of Eugene F. Gum, C.R. Gunnaway, J.A. Maberry, A.J. Curtis, and J.D. Clay.

This building stood until 1929 when the membership outgrew the small church and the church that presently stands was built.This building committee consisted of J.I. Lowery, J.M. Danner, Oscar J. Ewten, Mrs. A.D. Jones, Guy Ford, O.B. Thomas, and J.W. Ivester. In 1994 the Family Life Center was added to the present building.

We are indeed proud of the heritage and services the church has provided for the past 116 years!

Member Directory
Contents © 2018 Sayre First United Methodist Church | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy